At Keywords Studios we are using our passion for games, technology and media to create a global services platform for the video games industry and beyond. Our aim is to become the “go to” provider of technical services across a variety of service lines.
We enable leading content creators and publishers to leverage our expertise and capacity across the lifecycle of interactive content. In doing so we empower our clients to remain lean and agile and to focus on creating the most engaging experiences.
Keywords Studios is trusted and relied upon by many of the world’s leading video game companies to work alongside them during concept, development and live operations by leveraging the breadth and depth of our industry leading service lines every step of the way.
Keywords Studios plc (the Company) is listed on AIM, the London Stock Exchange market (KWS.L). See www.keywordsstudios.com for further information.
Keywords Studios continues to build world-leading capabilities in services that video game and other interactive content creators need. We stand shoulder to shoulder with our clients working as their external partner, providing access to our teams of experts where and when needed.
People that work at Keywords Studios are passionate, talented, committed and resourceful. Human talent is our most valuable resource and, as a business, we thrive on diversity, celebrate uniqueness and work as together in teams, either physically in one of our 70+ studios across 23 countries or else virtually.
Keywords Studios now has an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Counsel to be a part of its growing legal team. This position will support and report to the Group’s Head of Legal on commercial and other legal matters globally. As part of this role, you are going to be a key member within the team, focusing on a wide variety of duties supporting and advising both the legal and corporate functions.
This exciting role will give the successful individual the opportunity to influence and lead a critical element of our growing business, taking us to the next level of our strategic growth plans.
- Acting as a primary legal point of contact for the Group’s Contracts and Sales teams in support of the drafting, review and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial contracts;
- Working with, managing and training the Contracts Paralegals who form part of the Group’s Contracts team;
- Monitoring existing contractual relationships/frameworks and interpreting data protection, privacy and intellectual property matters in the context of commercial negotiations;
- Drafting and solidifying agreements and other legal documents to ensure the protection of the Group’s full legal rights and to reduce risk;
- Advising on contract status, legal risks and the legal liabilities associated with different situations;
- Providing legal guidance on data protection, privacy and other related issues to the Group, including by collaborating closely with the Group’s Data Protection Manager and the wider Information Security team;
- Managing files and working independently to see matters through to completion;
- Providing advice on legal issues to all levels of personnel, up to and including senior executives;
- Identifying inefficiencies in day-to-day operations and making recommendations for process improvements;
- Researching and advising on regulatory and legal changes affecting the Group, including procedures for compliance;
- Providing training to both the Contracts’ team and the wider Group on legal topics; and
- Giving accurate and timely counsel on a variety of other legal issues on an ad hoc basis, including by taking on such other responsibilities as the Group’s Head of Legal may determine from time to time.
- Strong negotiating skills on legal and commercial issues;
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organisation;
- Capable of multi-tasking and managing multiple projects by being flexible, organised and able to prioritise and manage own workload;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high activity environment, on a wide variety of matters and able to handle the requirement to quickly shift from one situation or task to another;
- Solution-focused problem solver who is commercially astute and pragmatic;
- Strong research, analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Leadership, decision making and judgment;
- Networking and relationship building;
- Creative and innovative thinking with a view to balancing commercial demands against legal risk;
- Ability to develop and learn independently on an ongoing basis;
- Research and analysis;
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the business; and
- Accountability and dependability with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Qualified lawyer (solicitor/barrister) with a minimum of 1-3 years’ post-qualification experience (either in a top tier law firm or in-house with an international company);
- Licensed in good standing to practice law in at least one jurisdiction;
- Experience and expertise in negotiating and drafting contracts;
- In-depth knowledge of data protection, privacy and intellectual property laws and regulations;
- Experience in other legal areas which may benefit the Group desirable (e.g. M&A, finance/banking, employment/HR, litigation & dispute resolution, IP/IT, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to understand business requirements quickly and then implement actions to meet business objectives;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Ability to innovate and present creative solutions;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills and strong attention to detail; and
- Fluency in English (additional languages are an advantage but not required).