d3t is at the cutting edge of technology and we deliver truly ground-breaking projects for our A-list clients. We offer work-for-hire software development services to the technology sector, adding value to games, business software or apps. And as a successful and growing business based in Runcorn Cheshire we are always interested in recruiting talented individuals. We offer an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment. Our anti-crunch mentality and mentoring ethos bring out the best in our team.
The Technical Artist bridges the gap between the artists and programmers. Their responsibility is to ensure the art content and features are easily created and integrated into the game, while respecting the artistic vision and technical constraints of the project.
- Responsible for helping to establish and maintain project art pipelines from inception and throughout the project life-cycle.
- Support the art and animation team requirements and assist with resolving technical issues.
- Assist with creating and integrating in-house toolsets and be involved in creating materials/shaders
- Ensure all artwork hits memory and frame rate guidelines/restrictions by means of performance profiling.
- Collaborate with the artists and feedback on how they can improve the performance of the in-game assets while maintaining visual fidelity.
- Ensure all artwork adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures etc
- Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the art team
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve efficiency in the art pipeline and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues
- Advise the Senior Technical Artist of resourcing concerns and productions risks.
- Encourage and mentor other members of the Technical Art Team.
- Enjoy the technical challenge and constraints of real-time game art and have some understanding of modern rendering, shading and lighting techniques.
- Must be performance and quality focused.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge and proficiency in Maya and/or 3DS Max and an excellent in-depth knowledge in Python
- Strong communication and organisation skills and confident working within a multidisciplinary art team.
- Able to create materials/shaders and a good understanding of a PBR workflow.
- Good understanding of the technical limitations of current console hardware.
- Practical and methodical approach to technical and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a Technical Artist
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints
- Good knowledge of current game development practices and terminology and a passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques
- MEL and/or Maxscript knowledge is advantageous.
- Knowledge of the Maya API and programming in C++ or C# is advantageous
- Some understanding of various other tools and software used in development, Photoshop, Substance, Houdini etc is also advantageous.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine or Unity is advantageous
- Experience of working within game development for at least 2 years
- At least 1 published title
- 22 days holiday (+ 3 extra at Christmas + bank holidays)
- Company Pension Scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme & Eye Care Scheme
- Anti-crunch ethos – an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment!
- Income Protection
- Employee Share Scheme
- Annual Bonus – be rewarded for great teamwork!
- Free Parking
- Monthly Fitness Sessions
- Complimentary Refreshments – an extensive range to suit all dietary preferences
- Company Socials, Project Launch/Wrap Parties + Annual d3t Events
- Breakout Areas – filled with perks such as games, snacks etc.
- Assistance and support with re-location to the area.