Objective of the Position
The payroll technician, in collaboration with the payroll team, will ensure that payment cycles are fully processed and that payroll reports, time sheets, allocation of funds are all accurate. They will also ensure that all of these documents are in compliance with the applicable federal and provincial regulations as well as with company policies. Other responsibilities include: responding to employee questions about pay, as well as improving upon the procedures currently in place.
Responsibilities and Main Tasks
- Process bi-weekly payment for all salaried employees as well as employees paid on an hourly basis;
- Compile payroll data such as wage garnishments, time off, insurance plans and other deductions;
- Communicate with supervisors to make certain that the hours worked by staff are approved;
- Ensure that changes in salaries are made in an accurate and timely manner and according to payment periods;
- Ensure that year-end statements are adjusted and distributed in a timely manner;
- Maintain a variety of payroll data, files and registers in paper or electronic format in order to maintain up-to-date references as well as an audit trail for compliance;
- Observe all company procedures and policies;
- Keep up with the latest payroll regulations, norms and work methods;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
Required Profile and Skills
- College degree in accounting or another related field;
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a payroll technician position with a large number of employees;
- Membership of the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) is a plus;
- Experience with processing payroll in other Canadian provinces is a plus;
- Experience with processing payroll in a dynamic environment;
- Experience with the Nethris payroll system is a plus;
- Energy, precision and analytical rigor;
- Good team spirit and collaboration;
- Bilingual in French and English, both spoken and written.
The masculine form is used throughout the text for ease of reading, but refers to both men and women.